Actually, that should be Caroline Made a Quilt. Last winter, after successfully making a baby quilt for my best friend, I decided that Lulu needed a quilt. But not a baby quilt, because Lulu isn’t a baby, she is a big girl. Twin size quilt it was.
So in February, I found the perfect fabric – Country Girls by Tasha Noel for Riley Blake. It’s now pretty hard to find this fabric. Glad I bought enough.
Even harder to find was a pattern. I liked this a lot, so I
copied modified it: Herringbone Quilt by Craftiness is Not Optional.
Here is my “pattern.”
I was pumped and ready to go. I cut out the pieces.
380 or so of them. And I layed out all the pieces in the “order” I wanted them (more like planned chaos).
And I starting sewing.
And then I lost my mind and put it away for a few months. Right before school started this fall I realized I HAD to finish this thing. So I started sewing. Again.
Notice the wrinkles on the right hand side of that picture? Yeah, that’s what happens when you aren’t super careful about your seam allowance. So after sewing and sewing, I got to unpick and unpick and resew and resew. And at last the top was done. Another long break happened.
And finally, I pieced together the back (no exciting pictures of that process, try to hold your disappointment in) and made some binding.
I didn’t make the binding as wide as I wanted, which was probably a blessing in disguise since I barely had enough fabric to make it 2 inches wide. I don’t hand sew, so I had to decide what to do about the binding. I know machine stitched binding isn’t going to be perfect but I wanted to control the imperfection as much as possible. So I bought some invisible thread. Threading a needle with invisible thread is all sorts of not easy. Also, since it is microscopic plastic, essentially, it breaks super easy. But once I got past those things, it worked amazingly. It really decreased how much stitching showed on the backside. Pinning the binding was all sorts of stupid. I’m sure I made it a lot harder than I needed to.
And… done (450 pieces later).
So Caroline made a quilt, and hopefully it doesn’t fall apart the first time I wash it. Caroline Makes a Baby Girl Quilt is up next. I will never make a quilt larger than baby sized ever again.